Thursday, September 11, 2008

Generation Gap

This past week I recorded a song I wrote last year. This is the first song I've done using a free recording/mixer program called "Kristal Audio Engine" First alittle technical information. In addition to using Kristal, I also used another free program called Audacity for editing the final mix and converting it into mp3 format. My computer's soundcard is an old (1998) "Soundblaster Live!" 5.0 card. The song consists of 9 tracks. And yes, it's all me.... 1- Vox Continental organ 2- Gretsch electric guitar (played through a Martin "Stinger" amplifier) 3- Drums (seen in above photo) 4- Electric bass 5- Acoustic bass (near the end of the song) 6- Horns (Optimus MD-1200) 7- Strings (Optimus MD-1200) 8- Pizzicato strings (Optimus MD-1200) 9- Radio sound clips (the intro is played through a Danelectro digital tape delay unit) Around 2:40 into the song is a portion of Spiro Agnew's infamous (or famous, depending on who's side you were on!) 1970 speech against the Vietnam war protesters. One final note....I believe the one thing that really sucks about digital recording versus analog tape is the sound quality is so crisp and clear, you can hear ALL the imperfections! The "hiss" from the tape used to hide it (especially when recording multiple tracks). Geeze, I never thought I'd actually complain about the sound quality being TOO good. Anyhow, this is probably more information than you cared to hear. So here's the song, enjoy. .....or Download

10 comments:

litlgrey said...

I've used that "Wit & Wisdom of Spiro Agnew" screed shit too.

"The United States IS a Pacific power... The United States will continue to [meddle] in the welfare of Asia..."

Got any more like this at home?

totalrod2 said...

Nope, just the Agnew speech. In the advent of all the usual 9/11 crap they INSIST on reminding us of every damn year (as if it's something to be proud of), I get the sense from hearing that 1970 speech, the attitudes in congress really haven't changed all that much in 38 years. If you want the speech in it's entirety, email at Totalrod2@aol.com
The title is "An Effete Corps of Impudent Snobs".
Bryan

litlgrey said...

You may remember various attempts to "market" September 11th as "Patriots Day."

Patriotism as of course defined by those who failed to protect us from the attacks.

I will remember September 11th by "praying" for these vicious, extremist mass killers in the White House, and on K Street, to experience even one tenth of what the victims - and the families of victims - of that day experienced.

totalrod2 said...

I've heard both sides of the story. I tend to believe more of what Jesse Ventura has said about 9/11. It WAS an inside job. If ever there was an administration that needed impeachment, this would've been it. But I'm not so sure how much say "we the people" really have anymore. Another 1960's would be refreshing, instead we seem to have become more like the WWII generation of sheep following to their slaughter. I find the whole thing rather depressing. So unless you're planning a revolution (good luck finding ANYONE with enough scruples to actually take a stand), I'm finished talking about it.
Bryan

Edmundo Floss said...

hi. link me and i link you. tks. http://musicalounge.blogspot.com

oglatansa said...

hi. visiting your blog....Hope I would see you in my blog....

http://omwiek.blogspot.com/

Your Pal Doug said...

Kudos to you! I just came across this. You are very talented.

Your Pal,

Doug

Steve Engler said...

Very cool retro song you made, you should make a whole EP or LP someday.

totalrod2 said...

I've written enough stuff to do several albums. Trouble is getting the motivation to actually record it. It's only a hobby, no money involved unfortunately.

Armpit Studios said...

You're saying the drums in that recording are the acoustic drums seen in the picture behind the Gretsch guitar? I find that hard to believe. Not to be all negative, but c'mon! :)